‘You don’t win friends with salad’ they say. Well, not if you give it a little personality with a cheesy twist & throw in some pungent sassiness!
I read up several recipes to get started with my kale salad & came up with a blend of my own. I love cheese, seafood & am a fan of slightly pungent flavours every now and then (wasabi is a hot favourite but we’ll keep that story for another time). So here goes my version of a Kale & Prawn Salad with Edible Flowers. For ease of access, have shared photographs and have also mentioned where you can get the ingredients in Pune, Maharashtra.
bought from Fine Foods, Aundh, Pune (map)
- 1 big bag of Dream Farm Kale
- 1/2 a box of Trikaya Edible Flower Mix
- Cardinal Applewood smokey cheese (blended beautifully with the flavour of the salad, however, you can choose the cheese that suits your palate)
- 200 gm IFB Small Prawns (You may use the large ones if you like a little crunch in your salad)
Ingredients bought on Amazon.com
- 1/2 Tsp Tra Chang Brand Thai Shrimp Paste (Product page)
Ingredients bought locally
- 3 Tsp Pou Chong Kasundi (or any brand of Kasundi- Bengali mustard sauce which is more pungent than both Dijon & American Mustard)
- Oleev Olive Oil to drizzle
- 1 Egg
- 6 Tsp finely chopped garlic
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Freshly ground pepper
- Pomegranate Seeds (Goes very well with the salad since I like to keep the dressing a little pungent)
- Thoroughly wash kale under running water & spread out to rinse.
- Chop Kale in medium sized ribbons.
- Keep chopped Kale in the microwave for 30 seconds to ensure it is worm/ germ-free. Set aside to to cool.
- Put egg, mustard, shrimp paste, 3-4 tsp garlic, juice of 1/2 a lemon in a blender & mix. Add pepper once done. Set Aside.
- Mix olive oil, salt, pepper, juice of 1/2 a lemon, 2-3 tsp of garlic and prawns in a bowl.
- Transfer to a pan and cook on medium heat till prawns turn slightly orange in colour. Set Aside to cool.
- Toss the kale with the dressing, breaking down the leaves a little- this will ensure it is full of flavour.
- Add the prawn & the pomegranate seeds & toss.
- Add thin shavings of cheese- I add copious amounts of it!
- Garnish with some edible flowers.
Serve cold or at room temperature.
Very filling & serves 2.
We immediately dug in and wiped the bowl clean! 🙂
Photos of Ingredients bought from Fine Foods, Aundh, Pune
Photos of Ingredients bought from Amazon.in and Elsewhere